Northern Ontario Course Director
Position: Northern Ontario Course Director
Immediate Supervisor: Northern Ontario Program Manager
Location: Huntsville area
Type: Full Time Salaried Contract
Start date: January 6, 2020 – December 31, 2020
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections, and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Northern Ontario Course Director will oversee and manage Outward Bound courses, from course planning and preparation, through implementation and wrap-up, serving as the primary link between program management and Instructors. This is a great position for those who have spent considerable time leading expeditions and looking for an introduction to a supervisory role working with seasoned instructors. Our expedition areas range from Algonquin Park to Western Quebec and Northern Ontario.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serve as the primary link between program management and Instructors.
- Oversight of Health and Safety.
- Assist in the adherence to the National Safety Policies and Standards and in the development of
- Local Operating Procedures and New Program Plans.
- Run and oversee staff trainings according to individual, technical and educational skills.
- Schedule staff team with Manager.
- Handle emergency phone calls from the field, troubleshoot with field and staff, and coordinate field evacuations.
- Manage program sites, serving as a trainer and mentor.
- Maintain professional presence and relations at sites, with outside agencies, and area agencies.
- Thorough completion of all course planning tasks and general readiness prior to student arrival.
- Oversee and manage entire course from course planning, implementation, and wrap-up, ensuring completion of all course end paperwork.
- Perform student medical screening and follow-up.
- Step into Instructor role as program needs dictate.
- Issue and maintain program equipment
- Coordinates the transfer of course information from key sources to instructors.
- Coordinate logistics as needed during busy times such as supporting sites, driving and packing food.
- Ensure completion of all course end paperwork.
- Reconnaissance of new course areas.
- Supervise and provide additional training for interns, student teachers and support staff working with assigned courses.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Three – five years as a field instructor with Outward Bound or similar program.
- Post-secondary education in one of the following fields: education, recreation, therapy (an asset).
- Wilderness First Responder (WFR) & CPR-C
- Bronze Cross / NLS
- F-Class (or equivalent) Driver’s License
- Knowledge of OB programs and philosophy.
- Detail-oriented with good organizational skills.
- Strong technical skills and working knowledge specific to canoeing, backpacking, and wilderness expeditions.
- Demonstrated successful working relationships with peers and other management staff.
- Effective trainer, able to accurately assess staff and teach a variety of learners.
- Self-starter with entrepreneurial zeal.
- Able to smoothly and diplomatically manage diverse staff, creatively and effectively facilitating conflict if necessary.
- Ability to manage more than one course at a time.
- Ability to problem-solve, prioritize and manage multi-tasks successfully within tight timelines and high stress.
- Strong and effective communicator, both written and oral.
- Demonstration of inclusive language.
- Knowledge and experience with diverse populations and social justice is preferred.
- Familiarity with Ontario wilderness expedition areas.
- Whitewater Rescue Technician (WRT) (an asset)
- Moving Water Paddling Certification (an asset)
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Starting $40,000 + benefits
READY TO APPLY?
Cover letters, resumes and trip logs can be submitted via our application database: HERE.
Please identify the position as “Northern Ontario Course Director” when you apply.
Application deadline: November 15, 2019
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone call, please.