Northern Ontario Instructor
Position: Northern Ontario Instructor
Immediate Supervisor: Northern Ontario Program Manager
Start date: June 2020
Contract Type: Seasonal
Since 1969, Outward Bound Canada has made it our mission to cultivate resilience, leadership, connections, and compassion, through inspiring and challenging journeys of self-discovery in the natural world. A not-for-profit, charitable, educational organization, Outward Bound Canada has challenged over 150,000 Canadians to step out of their comfort zone with our unique outdoor adventures. We pride ourselves on offering transformational journeys that encourage participants to push beyond their limits and discover their true potential.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Outward Bound Canada is looking for enthusiastic, hardworking individuals who have the credentials and capacity to work providing exceptional educational programming to students. Our students include both school and community groups as well as individuals looking for challenging journeys of self-discovery.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the health and well-being of students while on program.
- Effectively utilize group and risk management skills, maturity and role modeling in line with the values of OBC to create a safe and supportive environment for student-centered learning.
- Facilitate positive peer interactions among students.
- Manage in-field risk management decisions.
- Present clear and effective lessons to engage students in learning.
- Utilize different methods and styles of teaching.
- Monitor, assess and evaluate students.
- Work effectively with different populations.
- Achieve the objectives of the Outward Bound Canada National Safety Policy.
- Complete various program-related administrative documents and tasks.
- General program support regarding the base of operations including but not limited to inventory, repairs, maintenance, etc.
- Other duties as assigned
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE DESIRED
- Minimum two full seasons of work experience leading wilderness trips including but not limited to canoeing and winter.
- Commitment to the growth and development of others on an individual, group and societal leve
- Compassion for people and for the health of the environment.
- Understanding and application of Outward Bound Canada methods and philosophy.
- Proficient in behaviour management, crisis intervention and problem-solving.
- Experience in maintaining a positive staff team and environment.
- Well-practiced in communicating effectively with a high level of professionalism.
- Ability to establish effective rapport with staff and students.
- Ability to instruct canoe tripping, backpacking, wilderness travel, campcraft skills, ground initiatives, low ropes, rock climbing, and high ropes elements and assess associated ris
- Comfort in working with youth from various backgrounds.
- Wilderness First Responder
- Bronze Cross (required) or NLS (preferred)
- F-Class (or equivalent) Driver’s License (an asset)
- Whitewater Rescue Technician (an asset)
- Post Secondary education in outdoor education, adventure therapy, or relevant field.
- Position requires a police background check including Vulnerable Sector Check
READY TO APPLY?
- Finalize your cover letter and resume, ideally in one pdf file. MS Word is also ok.
- Fill out this webform: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form?EQBCT=8ef15d78cef64aaa9a100ec4a6eb5eba
- Attach your cover letter and resume to the webform. Note: you cannot complete the webform without this step.
Application deadline: Open until filled
Outward Bound Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.