The wonderful thing about outdoor education is that often the test comes first and the lesson comes second.- James, OBC Instructor
Outward Bound Canada offers programs designed to meet the needs of students who are independent, interested in the outdoors and academically motivated. Our goal is to create a supportive community, which recognizes and values every student. The objective of the program is to build a strong sense of self and community through active and authentic experiences that foster academics, a celebration of diversity, and personal growth using an integrated adventure-oriented delivery.
We believe that the development of self-esteem and self-confidence in students is paramount to a successful learning experience. Our program encourages students to live, work and learn co-operatively, and to value each other’s strengths and differences. We provide students with tremendous opportunities and support to challenge themselves and to succeed.
Outward Bound encourages a deeper understanding and appreciation for the environment. Environmental issues and concerns are a part of the program, ranging from no-trace camping on expeditions to larger global issues facing us all.
- More can be learned by presenting problems rather than solutions or methods
- A person grows by contributing to the community
- Commitment to the achievement of goals is strengthened when individuals are empowered and self-managed
- People work best when they share a common motivation and respect each other’s back grounds, perspectives and strengths
- Growth requires a willingness to take conscious risks and face new challenges
- Learning is heightened in environments which require people to take direct responsibility for themselves and others