EXPEDITION FOOD COORDINATOR
Outward Bound Canada is committed to inclusion and strives to have broad representation that reflects the diversity of Canada. We encourage applications from candidates who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Colour or People of the Global Majority, members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ community, and all other equity-deserving groups.
The Expedition Food Coordinator will manage all aspects of food planning and meal preparation for staff and participants on backcountry expeditions. The Coordinator will provide a well-thought-out menu plan dependent on the course and participant requirements. This includes preparing nutritious meals and simple directions for food preparation on the course (water and land-based). The Coordinator must have knowledge and understanding of food allergies and sensitivities, dietary restrictions, and the balance between food cost, food weight, and the number of servings for the expeditions. The Coordinator will have the knowledge and ability to supplement ingredients, ensuring a high level of care is taken to reduce or eliminate ingredients as needed based on participants’ dietary restrictions.
WHAT WE OFFER
Location: Canmore, AB
Salary: $45,000 annually
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package and Employee Assistance Plan
Term: Full Time Salaried Contract (6-month contract term)
Supervisor: Rocky Mountain Program Manager
Application Deadline: March 31, 2023
Anticipated Start Date: May 1, 2023
OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT
- Provide nutritious meals to all participants on course, being mindful of dietary restrictions and needs, food costs and weight, and the number of servings needed for land and water-based expeditions. Expeditions range from 3-32 days in length and 6-12 people + 2 staff. Participants range from 14-29 years old
- Coordinate with the Admissions department and Program Manager to gather information on dietary needs for each course
- Plan menus, purchase ingredients and work with outtrip recipes and menus to pack food for all expeditions, within limitations of multi-day expeditions
- Understand various aspects related to food preparation, including dietary needs, calorie intake, providing menu guidelines, preparation instructions, and supplies
- Ensure food and equipment are fully prepared for expedition start including packs, stoves, fuel, cooking utensils, etc.
- Focus on minimizing food and packaging waste
- Coordinate with Course Directors/Instructors to prepare and pack meals for program start
- Run inventory of food, monitor produce, and supplies to ensure all courses are set for program start
- Maintain a clean work area, following proper food handling and sanitation procedures
- Assist the Program Manager with program gear distribution, office, and base camp cleanliness and organization
WHAT YOU BRING
OBC recognizes relevant skills and knowledge can be gained through volunteer and life experiences as well as professional and educational backgrounds. Please outline in a brief cover letter how you have gained the following experiences, and how you would apply them to this role.
- Currently have, or be willing to obtain, a food handlers certificate (Food Safe 1 Certification)
- Experience managing an online budget and ordering system
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word
- Good organizational, interpersonal, communication (written and verbal) skills, with strong attention to detail
- Experience cooking and preparing food on and for expeditions
- Access to a personal vehicle
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs
- Willing to work flexible hours, including weekends and holidays as needed
- Willing to create new and exciting recipes for future menus
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in both a challenging and changing environment
- Ability to easily give, receive and implement feedback
- Clear Vulnerable Sector check
- Personal commitment to equity and inclusion in the outdoors
- High level of cross-cultural competence, in recognition that Outward Bound Canada works with students and partners from diverse communities and backgrounds
- Passionate about the Outward Bound Canada mission, an interest in outdoor pursuits, and a desire to help get young people outdoors for transformative experiences
- A Degree/ Diploma in Hospitality or equivalent is considered an asset
- Interest in wilderness travel, outdoor pursuits, or a career in the foodservice industry.
Outward Bound Canada strives to have a broad representation that is reflective of the diversity of Canada and values the diversity of people and communities and is committed to inclusion in our organization. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people who will increase representation and invite applicants to outline their unique perspectives in their application.
Apply for this position by submitting your cover letter and resume as one PDF.